SUMMER CAMP ASSISTANT
White Memorial is looking for a Summer Camp Assistant for 5 weeks, spanning from July 12 to August 13, 2021. This person will work directly with the Education Director in leading a summer camp called Natural History Explorers, geared for children entering grades 3-9. This camp will take us on hiking adventures to the nooks and crannies of White Memorial’s Main Area. Our “homebase” will be an enclosed pavilion with barn doors open on both ends. The first two weeks are designated for 3th and 4th graders, the second two weeks for 5th and 6th graders, and the last week for 7-9th graders. The camp runs on weekdays from 9:30am-1:30pm. This employee is asked to work from 9am-2pm at $14/hour ($14.25 for returning employees). Housing could possibly be provided as needed.
The main duty of the Camp Assistant is to help out the Education Director with any tasks assigned during camp, which may include, but are not limited to:
– Interact with the camp children (up to 14) each day
– Help with general supervision
– Be the “caboose” on our frequent and lengthy hikes
– Assist with any necessary first aid, and check the first aid kits to be sure all materials are in stock
– Perform frequent head counts while out exploring
– Help to resolve social problems amongst the children
– Check in children and take attendance each morning, as well as oversee pick-up
– Check meeting space for children’s belongings
– Disinfect the meeting space daily after campers leave
– Facilitate activities developed by the Education Director
– Take pictures of daily activities, as well as a group photo, each week and compile into a slide show
– Help Education Director interpret local natural history
– Fill in for the Education Director when Qualifications:
– Must be at least 21 years of age needed
– Completion of at least 2-3 years of college education in the fields of environmental education, natural history interpretation, conservation biology, elementary education, or a related field. Equivalent experience may be considered.
– Prior experience working with young children
– Enthusiasm interacting with children and teaching them about the natural world
– Comfort in speaking publicly and managing groups of up to 14 children
– Introductory knowledge of the area’s natural history
– A valid driver’s license
– Current First Aid certification (or the ability to obtain before June 15, 2021)
– An updated physical within 36 months (or the ability to obtain one before June 15, 2021)
– Compliance with all COVID safety measures, including mask wearing, social distancing, and frequent hand sanitizing
– COVID vaccination preferred
How to Apply:
Applications are due by Friday, May 21. Please send a letter of interest and a list of three references to Carrie Szwed, Education Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: White Memorial Conservation Center, P.O. Box 368, 80 Whitehall Rd., Litchfield, CT 06759
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT -04/27/2021
The White Memorial Foundation, Inc. is a not-for-profit located in Litchfield, CT, has and opening on the Maintenance crew. The Foundation is a 4,000 acre nature center and wildlife refuge consisting of forests, ponds, trails, rental properties, campgrounds, etc.
The Maintenance personnel work 40 hours per week, Monday through Friday. Essential duties for this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Building maintenance to include minor carpentry projects, painting etc.
- Vehicle/equipment maintenance
- Mowing lawns and fields
- Operating tractors and other heavy equipment
- Operating a chainsaw
- Trail maintenance
- Logging during winter months
The job requirements are as follows:
- 18 years old or older
- Have a valid driver’s license in good standing
- Be capable of working outdoors in all weather conditions including the winter
- Be capable of following instruction
- Have, or be able to obtain, the Connecticut Forest Practitioner certification
- Have a positive attitude and willingness to learn
- Be able to work safely and be safety conscious
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 lbs.
Pay rate for this position will be commensurate with the applicant’s experience. Benefit package includes medical and dental insurance and a 401K plan.
Please submit a job application by May 14 with references and salary requirements by email or mail to the attention of Lukas Hyder, Executive Director. Email- email@example.com.